Saturday, September 14, 2013

We made it to California!!


Transcribed: September 14, 2013

August 13, 2013 (continued)
The last few days I have been running into lots of solo female hikers.  They seem to be very happy and doing well on their own.  It is encouraging and empowering to see, as Ben and I have decided to continue on in our individual journeys when we reach Seiad Valley, the first town in California.  I am excited and I am afraid.  I’ve never spent a night out by myself.  I’m quiet and reflective today, trying to wrap my mind around it.  Today I walked 24 miles, we are camped near Fish Lake.  Ben walked down to the resort for burgers and soda and brought it back to the trail.  I do have the company of a wonderful hiking partner for a few more days.

August 14, 2013
I am feeling content.  A good day’s walk and lots of yummy food.  There is smoke in the air limiting visibility but it doesn’t seem to be affecting the air quality.  We are seeing a ton of north bounders, I think we have hit the herd.  The forest is beautiful, lots of old growth trees and huge pine cones along the trail.  This morning we had several miles of lava, which thankfully was easier on the feet than northern Oregon.  The feet seem to be toughening up, they felt well enough to have a walking dance party before hitting camp this evening.  And we found awesome trail magic in the form of ice cold root beer and microbrews alongside a gravel road.  Now, time for a good night’s rest before I do it all again.

August 15, 2013
I have been on the trail for two months today.  I can feel myself adjusting to it, the routines are getting easier, and it is feeling more like a way of life.  I still find myself worrying a lot, about being late for Mexico I guess.  My feet are falling apart again; I think my shoes may be too narrow.  I will try to remedy that problem when we get to Callahan’s Lodge near Ashland tomorrow.
Today was the first day it was significantly hotter.  More of the terrain was exposed today as well.  I will have to try to get up earlier to utilize the cooler morning hours.  Probably the best thing about today was going off trail to Green Springs Inn for lunch where we enjoyed a free beer for hikers, amazing burgers and salad, with marionberry pie a la mode for dessert.  In my delirious state in the midday heat, I was dreaming of ice cream.  We packed out three kinds of pie for the trail, which I am about to dig into.  Finally, the smoke in the air makes for some brilliant red sunsets.  Pie time!

August 17, 2013
I am back on the trail after a relaxing nearo at Callahan’s Lodge near Ashland yesterday.  We walked 12 miles in and spent the rest of the day eating great food and relaxing.  It was a beautiful wooden lodge with this huge flower covered patio that had humming birds flitting all around.  The lodge is awesome to hikers – they offer a free beer, bottom-less spaghetti dinner and awesome breakfasts.  They even gave us a ride back to the trail!  We started hiking around 11:30 this morning and put in 18 to 19 miles.  The feet are holding up so far, cutting a hole for my little toes to have more room seems to have been a genius move.  I have new shoes coming to Etna (thank God).  The walking today started off really hot, but it cooled down nicely as evening wore on.  There were beautiful alpine meadows around Mount Ashland, with wildflowers on their last legs.  The corn lilies that I’ve been seeing the whole trip are finally in bloom, they have lots of light green flowers coming out of the stalk in vines.  I will be in California in the morning; the border is nine miles away!

August 18, 2013
It has been a pretty epic day.  I have officially walked over 1,000 miles.  I walked into California.  And, we did our longest day so far (somewhere around 31 miles).  For once we actually got a really early start.  We were walking by 5:30 and got to watch the sunrise as I was walking.  Also, I finally did a 10 by 10 (10 miles by 10 am), which is always Ben’s goal and perpetually seems to be thwarted by a love of the snooze button.
It was hot today but not awful.  It does seem like I will need to be vigilant of water sources from here on out, which was a non-issue earlier in the trip.  The Oregon/California border was pretty awesome, this day feels like it had a lot of milestones especially having a chance to reflect after finishing the walking portion of the day.

Today is also very sad.  It is the last full day Benny and I will walk together.  We will go our own ways when we get back on trail after Seiad Valley.  All I can say is that today is a wonderful day.

(I don't have any pictures from Rachel for this section so will include some of the flowers we have seen when I've been able to hike with her)

 Bunchberry Dogwood

Lupine and Paintbrush

Pinedrops

Jeffrey's Shooting Star

Avalanche Lily
 

No comments:

Post a Comment