Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Finishing up July

Transcribed September 4, 2013

From the Journal:  July 25, 2013
Back to the trail, after a relaxing morning at Timberlilne.  We explored the nooks and crannies of the lodge, picked up our resupply package, and gorged at the breakfast buffet again before meeting Dad and Uncle Jerry.  Between both sets of my parents, we were spoiled with all kinds of treats - Almond Roca, cookie bars, banana bread, tortellini, corn fritters.  We walked out with enough food to feed an army.  Dad and Uncle Jerry walked about 10 miles with us to the junction at Highway 26.  It was very special to have the time with family.  I haven't seen Uncle Jerry in over a year, so going for a hike was a great way to catch up.  Dad is so happy to share in the journey, it was wonderful to see him.  In a few days he will join us from McKenzie Pass to Elk Lake, which I am really looking forward to.  We parted ways and walked another 4-ish miles.  We have said goodbye to Hood and dropped into the forest.  I'm always sad to leave another mountain behind, I almost trip looking back to catch glimpses.  There is also a lot that lies ahead.  The next four days will have to be about 26 miles each to arrive at McKenzie Pass on time.  I sincerely hope my feet can hang in there.

July 26, 2013
Today we took an on-trail nearo.  It was so hard to wake up, we started walking at 11.  We walked four miles to Little Crater Lake and relaxed and enjoyed a sunny afternoon by the clear teal water.  We walked from 5 to shortly after 11 pm and covered 16 more miles for the day.  It felt like a very relaxing 20 mile day.

July 27, 2013
We got an early start this morning, as we had 20 miles to cover to meet Ben's friend, Travis, at Ollalie Lake by early afternoon.  It was good walking, but my feet are giving me trouble.  Being in the trees offered less distraction to the pain, but we talked and listened to classical music and made our way through the miles.  Travis walked north to meet us and we all walked down to the lake.  We took a much needed long break, had cold pop, washed our socks and I soaked my feet in the lake.  Mount Jefferson sits right behind the lake.  A bald eagle flew right over our lunch spot.  We all continued south 10 more miles and are back in the high country just north of Jefferson Park.  We had a beautiful sunset, had dinner and socialized and are camped out under the stars.  They take your breath away with no ambient light to dim them.  Travis is wonderful company - knowledgable and engaging.  It is so great he was able to join Ben and I for a few days.  I'm going back to my star gazing!  Good night!

July 28, 2013
After I stopped journaling last night, the stars were amazing.  I saw three or four shooting stars.  It was hard to fall asleep when I was staring excitedly at the sky.  Our campsite was slanted a bit downhill, which I think was making blood return from my feet difficult.  I kept waking up with my feet throbbing in pain.  I don't think I slept very much, and when I woke up, walking 25+ miles seemed like an impossible task.  I did get moving, slowly as it was, and we climbed up to a ridgeline to Jefferson Park.  There were beautiful views of Hood nearby, with just shadows of the Washington Cascades behind.  To the west there was fog settling in the Willamette Valley.  We continue to see a lot more people, and it is fun to hear about other adventures as we cross paths.  Today we met a Dad and his two sons who are walking from Tahoe to the Oregon-Washington border.  The boys were 14 and 16 and looked like they were having the time of their lives.

My pain level and mood ebbed and flowed as the day went on.  Sometimes I could block it out and other times it seemed all-consuming.  Still, the hours and miles passed.  In the evening we put on music and played sing-a-long to silly, feel-good music (thank you Flight of the Conchords).  Eventually we made it to Koko Lake, logging 27 miles for the day.

July 29, 2013
It was so hard to get up this morning.  We had originally intended to walk 27 miles to McKenzie Pass, but, we quickly decided that our bodies needed a break.  Santiam Pass was 10 miles away and we could access Sisters and Bend from there.  Time for our first zero (no hiking miles) day.  We walked right beside Three Fingered Jack, a volcanic peak with beautiful layers of red and black rock.  Broken Top and the Three Sisters beckon from the south.  All of the Oregon mountains look so different from the west, and have a lot less snow since the last time I was here.  Travis, rockstar that he is, had left camp early, gone to the pass and come back with snacks and his car.  He walked up trail to meet us with water that was not from a swampy lake AND carried my pack the last bit to the Trailhead, where there was cold soda and chocolate ice cream!  Life got so much better so suddenly.  The three of us drove down to Sisters and met Dad for lunch.  We were able to work out a new plan for him to join us with our amended schedule.  I may be learning to eat like a thru-hiker - I had a burger, pork sliders, hummus, onion rings, fries, deep fried avocado, marionberry pie and a couple of beers.  We rested for the afternoon before meeting Dad for a late dinner.  I am just trying to stay off my feet and hope they heal quickly.

July 31, 2013
Back to the trail this afternoon.  My feet feel so much better.  I had almost forgotten it feels good to walk all day.  We walked 18 miles from Santiam Pass to McKenzie Pass.  We have great company along with Dad and Travis.  The first section continued through the burned area from Monday, and there was good cloud cover so it wasn't too hot.  There were isolated rain and thunder showers, but they dissipated quickly and the weather cleared up.  We walked several miles through lava fields, which was a bit hard on the feet and ankles, but they are so much stronger after a full day off.  There are beautiful views of Mount Washington, which we walked past and the Three Sisters, which lie ahead.  We are cowboy camped on the top of the Dee Wright Observatory, this awesome lava fortress in the mountains.  We had ridden our bikes up here in the spring and it is an awesome place to camp.  It feels good to be back on the trail.
 

 
Ben, Travis, Rachel

 

 

 
Walking Through the Burn Area
 


No comments:

Post a Comment