Saturday, September 14, 2013

Seiad Valley to Carter Meadows

Transcribed:  September 14, 2013
From the Journal:  August 19, 2013
This morning we watched the sunrise before descending to Seiad Valley.  We got an early start, but the day got hotter and hotter.  The final mile on the road into town was boiling.  I was chugging all of the very hot water I carried. Luckily the town has an awesome diner with AC and burgers and Dr. Pepper and root beer floats for dessert.  This made everything pretty immediately better.  It was 102 in the shade so we got our packages and went to the store and rested in the shade for a few hours before it was bearable to move again.  We got back on the road about 6 pm and walked 6.4 miles back to the trail before setting up camp for the evening.

August 20, 2013
Ben and I went our separate ways this morning.  He left camp before me and the world became very sad and quiet.  I hiked up this beautiful valley that Grider Creek runs through.  It is a stark contrast from yesterday’s dry heat to be in this cool shade.  It was a very gradual climb and I have too much food coming out of town, per usual.  I notice it is much less fun to take breaks so I am making good time.  This afternoon I came around a corner and saw my friend Ben writing me a note about a Mama bear and cub he had just seen.  We were glad to see each other; it was quite strange to be alone after spending nearly all of the last months together.   We ended up walking the last ten miles to camp together.   Marble Mountain Wilderness and the peaks around us are stunning.  This has also been the worse day as far as smoke in the air.  The moon is full and bright orange. 
August 21, 2013
Ben and I walked out of camp together.  The walking was beautiful, up high on ridgelines.  I passed this gorgeous teal lake below sheer cliff sides called Maneater Lake.  It was an inviting swim but pretty far off trail.  I made the mistake of mentioning that a little rain would be refreshing, and the next thing you know we are in a hail and thunder storm.  It was thankfully short lived.  Ben helped me set up camp a few miles North of Etna Summit before continuing on.
August 22, 2013
I slept alone in the woods for the first time ever last night and I did not die.  I woke up sad but also a bit proud of myself.  I started walking and am meeting Mom and Mike this evening.  It is warm today, and the sky to the south is full of foreboding, gunmetal grey clouds.  It looked like weather again and it wasn’t long before hail and lightening and pouring rain fell from the sky.  In between storm intervals, I was loving walking on this traverse up a very vast and quiet valley.  It made me feel very small and alone, in a way that might feel good when I get used to it.  The storm raged on and water was pouring down the trail in rivers.  Walking on seemed to be the only thing to do, I would freeze if I stopped.  I was getting progressively more miserable when I turned a corner to see Ben setting up his tent.  He had been worried and wanted to wait for me.  It was so nice to have a dry place to take shelter, to put more layers on and actually eat lunch.  The storm blew itself out pretty quickly and we walked the last six miles down to Carter Summit.
It was so awesome to see Great Blue Heron and Road Warrior (Mom and Mike).  I hadn’t seen my mama in a month, which I think may be the longest ever.  We all set up camp and had cold beer, pulled pork sandwiches and fresh fruit.  It is amazing to have family around.  I feel so lucky! 

No comments:

Post a Comment