Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Elevation Profile of the Trail and the Mind

Transcribed September 7, 2103

 
 
Pictures from Washington....high and low



From the Journal: August 1, 2013
Last night our attempt at coyboy camping was thrarted by rain showers.  I was hoping it would pass and resisted leaving my warm bed, but we all had to retreat to the lower level of the fortress.  We woke up in a cloud.  The mountains to the north were intermittently visible but The Sisters were completely obscured.  We walked on lava to start, and the feet seemed to be holding up.  We did catch a few views of North and Middle Sister and it seemed like the clouds might lift, but as the day wore on, we got a bit of rain.  It is disappointing to not have good visibility in this section, but it's not something we can control.  On the bright side, the mist covered fields of lupine were beautiful, and it was amazing to walk through the obsidian area.  Sharp and shiny black rocks lined the trail, encouraging one to stop and find the perfect piece.  This afternoon we ran into Vogue, a fellow Southie!  We hiked together for the rest of the evening and are camped near Sisters Mirror Lake.  Dad was awesome, we rocked out 24 miles today!


 
Beautiful landscapes in Oregon.....tough on the feet


August 2, 2013
Today we got to sleep in, since we were meeting Karen (my lovely Step-Mom) around midday.  We were still in a cloud this morning, and the mist on the lake was really beautiful.  The weather seemed like it was improving, and we hiked 7 or 8 miles into Elk Lake.  We somehow ended up on an alternate trail leaving camp and barely intersected Karen before she headed north on the PCT.  Elk Lake had great burgers and beer, and we got there just in time to sit out pouring rain and thunder storms.  With the deteriorating weather, it was tempting to go into Bend, but we sucked it up and headed back out.  Between Karen and our friends from Zydeco (Jamie, Caitlin and Steph) we left with packs full of awesome food.  Dad, Karen and Travis walked us out a few miles before we had to part ways.  It is so special to hike sections with our loved ones, and so hard to say goodbye.  Now that we are south of Bend, our hike will be less supported.  I think I have gotten very spoiled.  Benny and I hiked a few more miles before setting up camp at Dumbell Lake.  I jumped in for a swim before the sun dipped below the trees, which was very refreshing and much less hypothermic than my last polar plunge.  We sat by the lake and had awesome pretzel sandwiches, smoked cheddar, fresh blueberries and a classy box of wine.  It doesn't get much better.

August 5, 2013
I have been slacking on the journaling.  On the 3rd of August we walked about 14 miles before stopping for lunch and a swim at Brahma Lake.  We had every intention to keep walking, but it was a pretty lake and the feet still suck so we ended up calling it a nearo.  We spent the afternoon reading and relaxing.  Yesterday we were cruising in the morning and planned to make it to Shelter Cove, but at lunch I had a new blister.  When I started walking I was in sudden and excruciating pain.  With a lot of bandaging and a half Vicodin, I was able to make nine more miles to Rosary Lakes.  Ben ran ahead another 3+ miles to try to grab food at the Willamette Ski Area, but they had closed early.  He did return with soda, licorice and beef jerky that another hiker generously gave him.  Thank you Doug Fir!  This morning we walked about five miles to Shelter Cove.  We sat for several hours on the porch with other hikers, chatting and eating.  Ice cream and soy lattes can do wonders.  We packed out a pretty ridiculous amount of food and soda and set up camp five miles out at Diamond View Lake.  Tomorrow we are taking a zero on the trail.  I am feeling discouraged about taking time off, but the truth is, our feet need the rest.  They simply won't heal.  So I am going to try to enjoy tomorrow - to relax and try and quiet my ever present worries about making forward progress.  I hope I can find the simplicity and peace I so desperately sought when embarking on this journey.





August 7, 2013
I am sitting by a lake getting ready to start walking again.  I did almost nothing yesterday besides read, write, swim and rest.  Hopefully it was good for the body and mind.  I feel more settled, more present and will make it a daily intention to not worry.  I'm going to try walking without my watch in hopes it will make me less frenetic.  Today was an uneventful walk in the woods.  The feet are maybe better, though I'm not sure we walked far enough to tell.  It started raining so we pulled up camp two miles early.  My mood goes up and down like the hills I walk on.  It feels right to be walking through this, whatever "it" is. 

August 8, 2013
I am sitting at the base of Mount Thielsen watching one of the very best sunsets of the trail and doing sun salutations and giving out the very best intentions to the universe.  It is with pure and absolute joy that I emerge from the trees this evening, just in time to watch the red orb of the sun dip below the horizon.  We walked over 25 miles today, the feet are sore but not awful, and we plan to try and climb Thielsen in the morning.




Getting it all down....whatever "it" is today

No comments:

Post a Comment