Friday, June 14, 2013

Time to Hike

Life has been a whirlwind since we left Bend on Monday morning. We spent a few days in Spokane with Ben's dad and stepmom and then headed to the Seattle area to finish up the last minute details of our trip. It has been wonderful to see family and friends, and I wish we had more time to spend with everyone. The main task of the last few days has been rationing out our food supplies and organizing it into the sixteen resupply boxes that my mom will be sending as we go along. After a last minute trip to Costco this morning, I sincerely hope that we have everything we need!

It's difficult to describe how I feel right now. It is very strange to have dreamed and planned for something for so long, and now the time is actually upon us! We will be walking on the Pacific Crest Trail in less than 24 hours!! Overall, I am so excited! I almost cannot believe this is actually happening. The last few days have been really busy with logistical stuff, so I am ready to start walking and let things fall into place as they will. Planning can only take you so far.

Ben's dad and my mom will be dropping us off at Harts Pass in the morning, and we hope to make it to Stehekin in six days. I will do my best to keep this journal updated as we go. Thank you again to everyone in our lives for their support and positive thoughts.

Happy trails!

Organizing food drops


Our food before being packed..

And after (with Dwight overseeing production)


Treating our clothes with insect repellant

2 comments:

  1. What a process!! It has been fun and educational to watch it all come together!! The packaging is amazing and to be honest, the food looks delicious! Dried coconut, apricot. PB, Nutella, granola, etc.

    Ben's Dad and me were able to drop them off at the trail head yesterday at Hart's Pass. Fortunately, in the last week a rock slide was cleared so we were able to drive further up the road but they still had 3 miles to walk to reach the trail head. They hit the trail about 10:15 under sunny skies. I wonder where they spent the night??
    I love you infinity,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we got the Official State Highway Map out, found Harts Pass, WashingtonPass, Stehekin, and Stevens Pass etc, and by following the little "red dotted line" we know about where you are. Trust all goes according to your schedule. You are in ours and many others thoughts and prayers.
    GrandpaW & Jewel

    ReplyDelete