Friday, June 7, 2013

A few thoughts...


As I move closer to the trail, I have been doing a lot of soul searching. I continue to meditate on the reasons why I have chosen to make the trail my home for the next several months.

When I am out, in the forest, in the mountains, it truly does feel like going home. I revel in the beauty, the space, the freedom of it, and it seems to quiet my ever-turning mind. I, like many of us, have trouble being in the present, and I hope that by living my life at a simpler, day-to-day pace, I will be able to find my center in the present moment. I am choosing to think of this thru-hike as a moving meditation.

A decade ago, I could have never imagined that I would be willingly be going on a hike of this magnitude. During my teens and early twenties, I turned away from the “outdoorsy” ways of my childhood. And then, in 2006, my younger brother BJ passed away in a car accident. Seeking solace from our grief, my mom and I slowly started doing athletic events as a way of celebrating BJ’s life. We rode our bikes from Seattle to Portland twice, and started going on day hikes frequently. In 2011, we climbed Mount Rainier with RMI and were able to leave BJ’s ashes at the summit. He loved the mountains, and had summited Rainier as well as many other peaks with my dad. Last year, both of my parents and I took a climbing course, and so, my love for the mountains continues to fill a larger and larger part of my heart. I never feel as close to BJ as I do in nature. We can’t always choose what happens in our lives, but we can choose what we do with it. And I choose to celebrate my brother’s life by living mine to the fullest. I know he would be proud of the journey I am embarking on, and that I will feel his presence as I walk the trail.

I also wanted to extend a huge thank you to all of my family and friends who have been so supportive in the months leading up to this trip. My mom has listened to me pore over every detail without fail, and she is graciously taking on the responsibility of resupplying Ben and I with food and gear. Both of my parents are hiking sections of the trail with us, and I can’t wait for them to be part of our journey. Ben’s dad is kindly taking us to trailhead at Harts Pass to begin our hike, and will also plan to visit us along the way. To all of my friends and family, thank you for listening, for asking questions, for the special (and ultralight) talismans you have given me to carry along. You make me feel very loved. And, of course, thank you to Ben, for taking this journey with me. It has been a long time coming.

 Mom and I on the summit of Rainier

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored that you included part of our journey in this entry. Though I am biased I feel your writing and this upcoming “moving meditation” could evolve in to a book. Your writing is fresh and inspiring. Though the physical peaks you've "tagged" thus far are lower than the mountaineers you've come to know through their books, your vision, your spirit and your ability to bring that to light through writing has reached their heights.
    I love you infinity!
    Mom (the comment previously removed did not include this most important 'sign off' - my technology skills are a work in progress)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you madre, I love you infinity too!!

      Delete