Saturday, June 1, 2013

Counting down the days...

Today is June, which makes the trail seem within arms reach. A week from today is Ben's last day at work. Two weeks from today we will be taking our first steps from Harts Pass. It's very hard to wait at this point. I spent my days in preparation for what is to come, and at night I can't turn my mind off. I've never had trouble sleeping, but these last few nights I feel consumed by thoughts of the trail. It is a nervous excitement, I suppose, one that will fade when I start walking.

This afternoon I laid out everything I will be bringing with me on the PCT, just to see what it would look like. It was a very strange feeling. To agonize and plan over all of these details for months, acquire all of these specialized pieces of equipment, and it all forms a very neat little pile on your living room floor. And then all gets placed (hopefully) neatly into a pack you can carry with you. To literally carry your home on your back. I love the whimsy of it.


Unpacked...

...Packed! 


Seasonal Gear


Maps and guidebook pages 

1 comment:

  1. Quite a load of equipment. 29 to 30 zip envelopes; therefore as you get closer to Mexico fewer needed and lighter load?
    GrandpaW

    ReplyDelete